Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ten Years

I was writing a post about the construction of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and all the Chinese steel that is going into it, but another matter is more pressing and more interesting to write about.

"The future is built on brains, not prom court, as most people can tell you after attending their high school reunion." - Anna Quindlen

Today, I set up a Facebook group to start the planning of my ten year high school reunion. That's what I get for running for class president - the opportunity to plan reunions until the day I die. When I decided to run (and campaign like my life depended on it), I had no idea that I would have this responsibility after graduation. To be honest, as soon as graduation was over, I was hoping to be done with Buffalo Gap. High school wasn't a bad experience, but many things occurred that I could have done without: a boyfriend who dumped me in front of "everyone" at school, a teacher who called me the "worst class president" she's ever dealt with because I missed one meeting, and Girls State where I realized I would never EVER join a sorority.

But a lot of great things happened too. I attended the Shenandoah Valley Governor's School, played on the inaugural varsity soccer team (we lost almost every game 9-0, but I was in the best shape of my life!), learned "Lytton Latin," and made lifelong friends. I have already reconnected with old classmates that I haven't heard from in years. Some say, though, that Facebook has killed the need for high school reunions at all. Part of me agrees, but part of the fun of reunions is to actually see classmates, meet their husbands or wives, figure out who changed the most, who lost all the weight, who was a nerd and became a dreamboat, who turned out to be gay.

Any guesses on the over/under of classmates with babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment